Thursday 20 February 2014

Brit Awards 2014

The show started at 8pm at was opened by Arctic Monkeys performing R U Mine? off their album AM. Now this isn't my favourite track off the album however it was nice to see it performed live. Performing live in front of thousands of people doesn't seem to faze them and they maintained a cool slick performance with the added extra of AM light up with fire. Truly showcasing British talent and the right act to open up the show.

This year Philip Treacy designed the Brit Award. Have to say it looked eye catching and different but could easily pass as a new weapon. A type of saw perhaps? But jokes aside lets look at the awards and the winners.

This year British Video of the Year would be voted for on twitter. People would be given one vote only and voted by using hashtags. 

1. British Female Solo Artist presented by Prince
Ellie Goulding 
Laura Mvula
Laura Marling
Birdy 
Jessie J

Ellie won which was I was more happy about because I really prefer her to Jessie J. I thought the dress she wore tonight was exquisite and made her look classy and sexy. Well done Ellie!

Katy Perry performs Dark Horse
She came on stage in a chariot going with a UV Egyptian theme. This performance was very theatrical and considering I don't really care for her live performances, simply because her vocals leave much to be desired, I found this performance palatable. At the end of the day this is my opinion her genre of music is not what I would choose to listen to anyway. She just seemed to rely so much on her backing track.

James Cordon looked pretty suave tonight in his black suit which was patterned very nice!
2. International Male Solo Artist presented by Pharrell Williams and Kylie Minogue
Bruno Mars
Eminem 
Drake 
John Grant
Justin Timberlake

Bruno has won this twice last time was back in 2012. I really wanted Justin Timberlake to win because he's amazing and he gets better with age. But that's cool. 

3. British Breakthrough Act (my favourite category of the night) presented by Tinie Tempah and Fearne Cotton
Bastille
Disclosure
Tom Odell
London Grammar
Laura Mvula

Bastille's Bad Blood was the most downloaded album of 2013 and I've seen them twice live. I'm pleased they won because they really are an amazing act to see live and don't disappoint. It was a really tough category and I would've been happy whoever won (except Laura Mvula because I don't like her music as much). 

James Cordon then skipped off to talk to One Direction but at least they made jokes about Justin Bieber. 

Bruno Mars was next up to perform on stage. He performed Treasure which was good and I really enjoyed it because he is a good performer there is no denying that. 

4. British Group presented by Lily Allen. 
Arctic Monkeys
Bastille
Disclosure
One Direction
Rudimental 

Arctic Monkeys won and when collecting their award they didn't have much to say because they didn't want to bore us with a list of people we didn't know. Alex could've cracked a smile.

Critics choice was Sam Smith which was the award we already knew the winner to. 

5. Global Success award presented by Rosie Huntington Whiteley
One Direction
This was the second time they won this award. Harry wasn't on stage and apparently this was because he's nipped to the toilet. Always thanking the fans aren't they. I won't say much more on this because I'm not a fan and don't want to offend anyone. But seriously using One Direction and the Beatles in the same sentence?!

Beyonce performs XO
She's not my favourite performer and I do believe she is incredibly overrated. What I did love was her amazing dress! It was beautiful. If only I had the figure to pull off something like that! Although her music isn't my kind of thing she puts on a great performance and she does deliver on vocal range unlike so many other artists.

6. Katy Perry was next presenting Best British Single. She did the most appalling British accent which was just embarrassing to be perfectly honest! 
Rudimental 
Bastille
Calvin Harris
Disclosure
Ellie Goulding
John Newman
Naughty Boy
Olly Murs
One Direction
Passenger

I was shocked when Rudimental won with their track 'Waiting All Night'. I love that track however I thought they would be overlooked because it was a really strong category. They collected their award with Ella Eyre who also features on the track. 

Lorde and Disclosure were the next performance of the night doing a take on her successful single 'Royals'. The song gradually merged into White Noise when Aluna George walked out on stage whilst Lorde exited. Was an amazing performance from Aluna, Lorde and the Disclosure boys. Lorde offered some lovely dance moves which ended up in her looking like she had been possessed. Blimey it's a good job she has a good voice.

7. International Group presented by Cesc Fabregas and Nicole Scherzinger
Daft Punk
Haim
Kings Of Leon
Arcade Fire
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

Award was won by Daft Punk and accepted by Nile Rogers. He said that 'Random Access Memories' was a team effort. As much as I like Daft Punk really wanted Haim to win. 

James Cordon is then sat having a chat with Kylie and makes a joke about Harry Styles "Even though you're single you're probably still too young for Harry Styles". Nicely done James Cordon, nicely done.

Ellie Goulding performs a mash up of 'I Need Your Love' and 'Burn'

8. British Male presented by Noel Gallagher 
Jake Bugg
Tom Odell
James Blake
John Newman
David Bowie

As much as my opinion may be an unpopular one I would've wanted Tom Odell to win simply because 2013 was such a good year for him and his album was perfection. I haven't stopped listening to him and ever since he won Critics Choice he has gone from strength to strength. However, congrats to Bowie he's just not my cup of tea. 

Nick Grimshaw made out with James Cordon again which was cute- aww.

9. International Female Solo Artist presented by Nick Grimshaw
Katy Perry
Pink
Janelle MonaƩ
Lady Gaga
Lorde

Finally an award I agree with! So happy Lorde won. Yes she's a controversial singer and not everyone loves her but she doesn't care what people think. Look what she's achieved at 17?! This is Lorde's first Brit Award and she had one of the most humble speeches ever. She put people like Alex Turner to shame.

10. British Video Of The Year
Love Me Again- John Newman
Burn- Ellie Goulding
La La La- Naughty Boy ft Sam Smith
I Need Your Love- Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding
Best Song Ever- One Direction

Bastille and Rudimental did a mash up of Pompeii and Waiting All Night with Ella Eyre. This was my performance of the night.

11. Mastercard Album Of The Year
Won by Arctic Monkeys and it seemed like it was such a chore for Alex Turner to get out of his seat. I wish he could've looked a bit more thankful.

So the Brits was ok this year but for me it's becoming too much about pop music and would love to see more Alternative/Indie artists involved. Maybe that's just me.

What were your thoughts on the Brits this year?

"The rest is still unwritten"

Megan




No comments:

Post a Comment