Friday 19 September 2014

Ramble Thursdays: Starting University

Happy Thursday Readers!

It's late September now and most Universities will be starting again. Freshers will start and no doubt the first week back will be a blur for most! Nonetheless there will be nerves for starting your new courses. I'll admit University is a big step and becoming independent whilst trying to get to grips with your new course can seem daunting. I felt exactly the same last year, however I'm moving into my second year now and I've survived!

When starting any new course at University there is a chunk of reading to do. I know a lot of students who regretted this and didn't get the mark they wanted at the end of first year. I may be alone in thinking this, but personally if I was paying £8000/£9000 a year then I would want to do everything I could to make sure that that money wasn't wasted. I'm aiming for a first at the end of my three years so during my second year I'm really going to put more effort in! 

My downfall last year was getting on top of assignments. I was silly in that I didn't plan when I was going to do them, or start them early. This year I plan to change this and start planning as soon as I get them. This way I will have more time to edit and change my essay/project prior to the hand in date. Also I will be worrying less so if I've finished an assignment I can hand it in and then have more time to go out and do the things I enjoy!

Reading recommended books your lecturers suggest is really worth it. Although, one thing you should do is reference the book when you've read it. That way if you get given an assignment and you've already read the book you don't have to worry about reading it again, because you will have made notes and referenced. This will make it less stressful and will help when writing your essay!

I started back on Monday and I'm sure I will have lots to tell you when I write next Thursday! I'm really looking forward to seeing my friends again and getting back into a routine. I've been sleeping in far too late and going to bed at silly hours! Going back to Uni will definitely mean my sleeping pattern has to change drastically! Mum and Dad are away for 2 weeks so I am planning to use my Thursdays off to get back into my baking. I have big plans! 

Yes, I'm aware I don't sound like your typical student. This is mainly down to the fact that I've moved back home as renting in Leeds became too expensive when I don't live miles away. I can drive in everyday and save money to use on better things! It also means that I'm not worrying about food shopping which is a god send when I start back at placement. 

Overall, I can't wait for second year to start. It means I'm closer to graduating and I can't wait to be a fully qualified teacher in charge of my own class. I'm more than excited to get my own house and start being more of an adult. 

I hope your week is going well! One more sleep and then FRIDAY! I'll be off to the Student Lock-In tonight at Meadowhall like last year. Next week's blog will be all about that. Hopefully I'll have some goodies to show you all! 

"The rest is still unwritten" 

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment